When you as a freelancer will be asked to do your client content strategy, you have to get understood their specific objectives to make a plan. Bear in mind that those objectives should be SMART to persuade. That means:-
- Specific (simple, sensible, significant).
- Measurable (meaningful, motivating).
- Achievable (agreed, attainable).
- Relevant (reasonable, realistic and resourced, results-based).
- Time-bound (time-based, time-limited, time/cost limited, timely, time-sensitive).
Let’s try to ask them some questions like:-
Objectives & Goals
We need to understand a bit more about your company and what you hope to achieve from us developing this Content Strategy for your blog.
- What are the objectives for your blog?
- What are you hoping to achieve from developing this content strategy?
- Do you have a target persona for your business?
If no, can you describe your target audience in as much detail as possible? E.g. outline what you know the age, employment, motivations, goals, challenges.
- When was the last time you surveyed your audience (if ever), and what insights (if any) did you uncover?
Even if you have not surveyed your audience, do you have any insights that you have learned through speaking directly to any of your readers/customers?
Current Blog Performance
It would be helpful if you could tell us how your blog has performed since it was launched.
- How long has the blog been active?
- What are your successes with the blog?
Please list anything that you feel has worked well with your blog. E.g. have particular articles or styles of posts done well, do you get good shares/comments.
- Is there anything that hasn’t worked so well for your blog?
- What are your main challenges with the blog?
e.g. not knowing what to write about, no time, limited resources.
- Who are your main competitors?
- What competitors do you think are doing a good job at blogging and why?
Please include the website address
- Are there any other blogs that you admire, even if they are not a direct competitor?
Explain what you like, is it the writing style, they type of articles they produce, how it looks. List anything that they do that would like to adopt for your blog.
Topics & Articles
- Please list 3-5 main topics you would like to write about or rank for in searches?
- Is there any particular style or type of article you would like to do more of?
e.g. would you like to produce more infographics, experiment with video, practical “how-to” articles.
- What channels do you currently use to communicate with your audience or promote your content?
- When an article is published, what do you currently do to promote it?
e.g. how frequently do you post it on social media, do you send it to your email list.
- Are there any specific promotional tactics that have worked well for you OR have not worked at all?
Resources & Process
- What writing resources do you have within your team?
- Do you allow others to guest post on your site? If not, are you open to it?
- What other resources do you have at your disposal?
e.g. do you have people to help with graphics, SEO, editing/proof-reading? List out any resources you have to help produce content.
- Based on your current resources, how many posts a month do you think you have the capacity to produce?
Please be realistic about this. E.g. could you comfortably do one article a week, every 2 weeks, once a month.
- Please briefly explain your current process for writing an article (from the initial idea through to publishing)?